Every week, a new fiction story is delivered with the Printers Row Journal, a product of the Chicago Tribune. We are always looking for story submissions, which will be judged on a rolling schedule.
Each submission must be double-spaced, written in English, not previously published and conform to the contest's specific word count value. Include your full name, telephone number, email address and mailing address in the cover letter box. DO NOT include ANY identifying information in the submitted story.
For a sample of Printers Row Fiction, click here to read "Ogallala Aquifer" by Terese Svoboda.
Size limit: 5000-8000 wordsEvery week, a new fiction story is delivered with the Printers Row Journal, a product of the Chicago Tribune. We are always looking for story submissions, which will be judged on a rolling schedule.
Every fiction submission shall be subject to these official rules, and by entering all participants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions herein.
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
2) Each story must be double-spaced, written in English, not previously published, and between 5,000-8,000 words. Please include your full name, telephone number, email address and mailing address in the cover letter box.
3) Eligibility: This contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States or DC ages 18 and older at the time of entry. Employees (and the employees' immediate family members living in the same household) of the Tribune and its advertising companies, parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotion and delivery contractors and/or public relations companies, are not eligible to participate. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
4) Selection of Winners and Notification: A panel of judges will select winners on a rolling schedule. Due to the high number of submissions, only the authors of fiction stories chosen to run in the Printers Row Journal will be notified. We will contact selected authors by telephone or email using the information provided on their submitted cover page. If a selected author does not fulfill the eligibility requirements or adhere to these rules that story will be disqualified. All selected authors will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability Release and a Publicity Release. Failure to return all such documents set forth herein within 10 days of the date the Tribune sends them will result in the submission being disqualified.
5) Other Conditions of Submission: Submitters represent and warrant that the stories are their own original creations, have not been copied in whole or in part from any other work, have not been previously published, do not violate the rights of any other person or company (including but not limited to privacy rights and copyrights), do not defame, libel, or slander anyone or any entity, and do not contain offensive, vulgar, obscene or profane content. Stories that do not comply with these rules shall be disqualified. Entrants agree to indemnify, defend and hold the sponsor harmless against any and all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, debts, investigations, fines, penalties, costs, expenses and settlements (including attorneys' fees and costs of litigation, settlement, judgment, interest and penalties) arising out of or related to a breach of the foregoing representations and warranties. Stories will not be returned. Selected authors grant to the sponsor a world-wide, perpetual license to use their stories in any manner related to the contest, without prior notice, approval or compensation, including but not limited to the first right to publish the winning stories. Selected authors otherwise will retain rights to their stories, and the Tribune’s publication of their stories will not limit their use and ability to further market the stories.
6) Responsibility Release: By entering, authors agree to release, waive, and hold harmless the Tribune and its affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, and liability arising from injuries, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney's fees) incurred as a result of the contestants' participation in this contest and/or their acceptance, use, or misuse of any prize or element thereof.
7) Publicity: By entering a story, authors agree to allow use of their name, voice, photograph, likeness, any information provided on entry form in any medium of communication, including but not limited to print, Internet, radio and/or television and for any purpose, including advertising, promotional or other purposes, by the sponsor and its licensees and affiliates, without additional compensation.
8) Internet: The Tribune is not responsible for printing or typographical errors in any submission-related materials; for entries that are misdirected, deleted, incomplete, inaccurate, or garbled or entries that are lost for any reason, including computer, telephone, paper transfer, human or other error, or for electronic, computer or telephonic malfunction or error, including inability to access any website associated with this contest, or process any transaction thereon. If for any reason this submission contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this web site associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper administration and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by entrants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Tribune’s opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, the Tribune reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Internet portion this contest.